A pre 1936, solid wood Belweb book case. The previous owner used is as a toy cabinet, and we could not resist to dress it up as such, but it can also serve as a very practical kitchen cabinet or display case.
Belweb furniture was manufactured in Cape Town between 1906 and 1936. (The factory was on the corner of Collingwood and Seymour Streets in Observatory). Judged by the little ivory disc with the company marking inserted into the side of one door, this was one of their later pieces. The company, owned by Scottish brothers James and Richard Bell and Herbert Webb, used imported timber, fittings and upholstery and had many furniture commissions for Parliament, UCT and the high commissioners residence in London.